To begin the Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) process with the College of Naturopaths of Ontario (the College), please complete the following steps.
1. Show proof of identity
2. Show proof of formal education
To be eligible for PLAR, you must have a minimum of a Canadian undergraduate degree or equivalent (in a healthcare-related discipline) from an accredited academic institution.
If you completed your education outside of Canada, an assessment of your degree(s) by one of the following credential evaluation agencies is required:
- World Education Services (WES),
- International Credentials Assessment Service of Canada (ICASC), or
- International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES).
Results of the formal education assessment must be sent directly to the College from the credential evaluation agency.
If you completed your education in Canada, please arrange to have the university send your transcripts directly to the College. If the academic institution is unable to send a transcript directly, we will accept a certified copy of the transcript issued to you.
If transcripts and official university documents are in a language other than English or French, translation by an official translator is required. You will be responsible for any associated fees.
If transcripts cannot be obtained due to exceptional circumstances, please contact us at email@example.com for information about acceptable alternate documentation.
3. Show proof of language proficiency
If your primary language is not English or French, and your relevant education was not conducted in either language, a College-approved language proficiency test in either English or French is required as noted in the College’s Language Proficiency Policy. The College requires a language proficiency test to be obtained from one of the following institutions.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – Score of 580 required on TOEFL-PBT, or total score of 100 with a minimum of 25 on all skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking) on TOEFL-iBT.
- The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Level 7 required on all skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking). In Ontario: ieltscanada.ca. International: www.ielt.org.
- Canadian Academic English Language Test (CAEL)– A minimum overall score of 70.
- Test d’Évaluation de Français (TEF) (For demonstrating French proficiency only) – minimum 233 in Reading, minimum 310 in Writing, minimum 280 in Listening and a minimum 310 in Speaking.
Please contact the institution directly for the associated costs.
4. Submit a completed Document of Education and Experience
A form for PLAR candidates to submit information regarding their education and experience in naturopathy for the paper-based assessment component of the PLAR process.
Important note: If you live outside of Canada, you can complete the above processes before moving here. We strongly recommend, however, that applicants outside of Canada obtain official copies of all the documents needed before arriving in Canada to prevent any delays.