The Council of the College of Naturopaths of Ontario is our organisation’s Board of Directors. It consists of 15 positions:
- Eight are naturopathic doctors elected by the Registrants in each of the eight districts.
- Seven are members of the public appointed by the Government of Ontario.
To be a candidate for the first eight positions, a Registrant must meet eligibility requirements set out in the College by-laws. These are intended to ensure they have demonstrated proper conduct throughout their career.
When the College was established in 2015, an election was held in all eight districts for terms of one, two and three years in order to establish staggered elections in the future. This allows for continuity and ensures that positions do not all change at the same time. Subsequent elections are for three-year terms.
The election schedule is as follows:
- Districts 1, 3 and 5: 2015, 2016, 2019, 2022 and every three years thereafter;
- Districts 2, 4 and 6: 2015, 2018, 2021 and every three years thereafter;
- Districts 7 and 8: 2015, 2017, 2020, 2023 and every three years thereafter.
Election Process and Handbook
The election process begins in early November each year with a call for nominations from among Registrants. Nominations must be received by early December and nominees are evaluated to ensure eligibility. Those that meet the requirements are considered candidates for the election in their district. Balloting is conducted electronically over a 30-day period from early February to early March. The Candidate with the most votes joins the Council at its first meeting at the end of April.
The entire election process is set out in the College by-laws. However, to help Registrants understand the process, an Election Handbook is updated annually to reflect the election schedule.