Sending Specimens to a Licensed Laboratory
Under the regulations made under the LSCCLA, Registrants are authorised to take or collect other non-blood specimens (stool, urine, saliva, hair, tissue, discharge, sputum, and breath) from their own patient in their own office for the purposes of ordering any of the following tests on these specimens from a laboratory licensed under the LSCCLA.
You may not perform these tests on the specimens yourself.
Find out more about ordering laboratory tests.
Tests Performed on Stool
1. Bacteria / yeast (microbiology profile).
2. Calprotectin Fecal.
3. Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis.
5. Fecal Fat.
6. Occult Blood.
7. Parasites and Ova.
Tests Performed on Urine
8. 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
10. Bilirubin (total, total conjugated, unconjugated, direct and indirect).
11. Bisphenol A.
12. Calcium, Calcium ionized.
13. Chlorinated pesticides.
14. Cortisol—bound and unbound, no differentiation.
16. Creatinine Clearance.
17. Cultures—urine, screening, actual culture without identification.
18. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (DHEAS).
23. Human Growth Hormone.
24. Luteinizing Hormone.
27. Porphyrins, screen.
29. Routine Urinalysis (glucose, blood, ketone, leukocytes, etc.)
31. Testosterone, free.
32. Thyroid hormones.
33. Toxic Metals.
34. Uric acid (urate).
35. Urinary Organic Acid Test.
Tests Performed on Saliva
37. 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
40. Cortisol – bound and unbound, no differentiation.
41. Dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (DHEAS).
50. Testosterone, free.
Tests Performed on Hair
51. Heavy Metal—Hair element analysis.
Tests Performed on Tissue/Discharge/Sputum
52. Culture—throat swab for streptococcus screen only.
53. Culture and sensitivities (other swabs or pus – culture and smear [includes screening]).
54. Culture and sensitivities (sputum—culture and smear).
55. Nail and skin cultures.
56. Nasal swabs (other swabs or pus—culture and smear [includes screening]).
57. Pap smear (smear only, gram or Papanicolaou stain as sole procedure).
58. Seminal fluid examination (complete).
Tests Performed on Breath
59. Hydrogen breath test.
60. Intestinal permeability test.
61. Urea breath test for H. pylori.
(Reference: R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 683 (Specimen Collection Centres[VC1] ), section 8, paragraph 3; Appendix B.)