A Professional Portfolio is an organizational tool that contains all the information relating to your ongoing participation in the QA Program.
The Professional Portfolio, which must be retained for a minimum of six years, is divided into three mandatory sections:
- Continuing Education and Professional Development; and
- Peer & Practice Assessment.
In addition to the required sections, you may wish to include an additional section with other information that highlights your ongoing competence. Although the College has developed the overall structure of the Professional Portfolio, you are encouraged to individualize and customize your own portfolio.
Section 1: Self-Assessment
Every member is required to complete CONO’s Self-Assessment process annually. Completing the annual self-assessment involves reviewing materials provided by the College that reflects your advertising practises, identifying and reflecting on your current advertising, making changes where necessary and completing the Self-Assessment: Advertising questionnaire.
Once you have completed the Self-Assessment: Advertising questionnaire, the College will send you a letter of completion which you will file in your professional portfolio as it will be reviewed during your Peer and Practice Assessment.
Section 2: Continuing Education and Professional Development
Continuing Education and Professional Development activities should reflect the results of your Self-Assessment and Peer and Practice Assessment. This is in addition to any other educational activities related to your professional interests. All of your CE activities will strengthen your professional skills as an ND.
To monitor compliance with the Quality Assurance Program, you will be required to complete and submit a summary sheet (entitled Continuing Education and Professional Development Log) of your learning activities.
You must maintain all documents related to the completion of the required credits in your Professional Portfolio. These include:
- Continuing Education and Professional Development Log (ongoing summary of completed learning activities);
- Proof of attendance/completion of learning activities, e.g. a certificate of completion from a course or lecture you attended, a letter confirming your participation as a supervisor in a student clinic, a copy of a published article you authored, etc.;
- Materials gathered while fulfilling the Continuing Education and Professional Development requirements, e.g. course outlines, brochures, receipts, etc.;
- Proof of valid Health Care Provider Level CPR.
Section 3: Peer and Practice Assessment
One way of helping Members improve their practice is by giving them the opportunity to meet and discuss practice issues with a peer. Each year, the QA Committee will select up to 20% of the profession to participate in a Peer and Practice Assessment. You will be provided with a report from the peer assessor that will identify any areas for improvement and provide suggestions on how to address potential practice issues.
In your Professional Portfolio you are required to retain:
- Your most recent Assessor Report;
- Quality Assurance Committee Decision and Recommendations;
- Documentation to support ways of addressing identified areas of improvement (if applicable).
Section 4: Personal Additions (Optional)
The Personal Additions section can showcase achievements or items that support competency and ongoing learning but do not necessarily fit into any of the above sections. Examples may include awards, certificates of achievement, volunteer service with a community organization, feedback from patients or peers, copies of College registration documents, lists of useful resources, etc.
Click here for the Professional Portfolio Handbook.