On March 1, 2018, (the "Effective Date") the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee of the College accepted the following Acknowledgement & Undertaking signed by Salna Smith on February 7, 2018:
I, Salna Lee Smith, certificate of registration number 1390, acknowledge and undertake as follows:
1) I am currently a suspended member of the College as a result of non-payment of fees and failure to provide information.
2) I acknowledge that I am the subject of an investigation by the College regarding i) practising the profession while my certificate of registration was suspended; ii) inappropriately using a title or designation in respect to my practice, in particular using the protected titles “Doctor”, “Naturopath” and/or “ND” while my certificate of registration was suspended; iii) contravening, by act of omission, the Standard of Practice of the profession for Advertising; iv) contravening by act or omission, the Standard of Practice on Conflict of Interest and the Conflict of Interest Guideline, including but not limited to endorsing a product using my professional status; and/or v) using or permitting the use of a testimonial from a patient, former patient or other person in respect to my practice (collectively the “Investigation”).
3) I acknowledge being advised that the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (the “ICRC”) has not referred specified allegations of professional misconduct or incompetence to the Discipline Committee of the College in respect of the Investigation and that the ICRC is prepared to take no further action on the Investigation pursuant to paragraph 4 of subsection 26(1) of the Health Professions Procedural Code in exchange for my entering into this Acknowledgment and Undertaking.
(4) I undertake to resign my membership in, and certificate of registration with, the College effective the date of the ICRC’s decision to accept this Acknowledgment and Undertaking and to take no further action under paragraph 4 of subsection 26(1) of the Health Professions Procedural Code (the “Effective Date”).
(5) I confirm that I have obtained 5 year tail insurance and provided a copy to the College in accordance with the College’s by-laws.
(6) I undertake to not apply or re-apply for registration as a naturopathic doctor in Ontario within five years of the Effective Date.
(7) I undertake to not practise naturopathy in Ontario and/or treat or offer to treat patients residing in Ontario, unless registered with another Ontario Health Regulatory College.
(8) I undertake to not use the titles naturopath or doctor or the designation ND or any other protected titles (unless expressly authorized to do so) after the Effective Date.
(9) I, agree that in the event that the College should become aware that I am in breach of this Acknowledgment and Undertaking including, but not limited to, becoming aware that I have either applied, re-applied or attempted to apply or re-apply for registration as a naturopathic doctor or for a certificate of registration, or equivalent, within five years of the Effective Date or practised naturopathy or treated or offered to treat patients in Ontario or used protected titles (unless expressly authorized to do so) after the Effective Date, the College will be entitled to rely upon this Acknowledgment and Undertaking in any registration or other similar proceeding as reason to deny my application to the College.
(10) I further agree that if I breach this Acknowledgment and Undertaking, the College shall, in its sole discretion, have the right to proceed with the Investigation as described in paragraph 2 (as well as for the breach of this Acknowledgment and Undertaking) and that the College will be entitled to rely upon this Acknowledgment and Undertaking for that purpose.
(11) I agree to bear the risk of any prejudice that the passage of time might cause to my ability to make full answer and defence, and waive the right to seek any remedy on the basis of the passage of time, should the College proceed with any allegations that may arise as a result of a breach of this Acknowledgment and Undertaking and/or pursuant to paragraph (10) above.
(12) I, acknowledge that as I am currently suspended, I cannot hold myself out as a person who is qualified to practise as a naturopath in Ontario and am not entitled to imply that I am a naturopath in Ontario. I also acknowledge that as of the Effective Date, I will not be entitled to hold myself out as a person who is qualified to practise as a naturopath in Ontario and I will not be entitled to imply that I am a naturopath in Ontario.
(13) I undertake and acknowledge that the College shall include the fact of my resignation and this Acknowledgment and Undertaking in the College register and it shall publish the fact of the Acknowledgment and Undertaking on the College website.
(14) I acknowledge that I shall be solely responsible for payment of all fees, costs, charges, expenses, etc., if any, arising from the implementation of any of the terms of this Acknowledgment and Undertaking.
(15) I fully understand the terms of this Acknowledgment and Undertaking.
(16) I acknowledge and confirm that I have been advised by the College to obtain independent legal advice prior to signing this Acknowledgment and Undertaking and that I have obtained or have had an adequate opportunity to do so.
(17) I am signing this Acknowledgment and Undertaking voluntarily and without compulsion or duress.
(18) I give my irrevocable consent to the College to make appropriate enquiries of any person or institution who may have relevant information, in order for the College to monitor my compliance with the terms of this Acknowledgment and Undertaking.