On August 4, 2016 (the "Effective Date") the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee of the College accepted the following Acknowledgement & Undertaking signed by Maureen Horne-Paul on August 3, 2016:
(1) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, certificate of registration number 0789, am currently a suspended member of the College of Naturopaths of Ontario (the College) as a result of the non-payment of fees. The College has received information regarding my standard of practice.
(2) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge that I am the subject of two investigations by the College regarding i) failing to comply with a Penalty Decision of a Discipline Panel of the Board of Directors of Drugless Therapy – Naturopathy by engaging in the practice of naturopathy, using the title ND (or any variation or abbreviation), and holding out as an ND or as somebody who is entitled to practice naturopathy while the certificate of registration was suspended between July 15 and October 15, 2015 and ii) performing IVIT prior to having met the Standard of Practice for IVIT and the Standard of Practice for Prescribing of the College, compounding drugs prior to having met the Standard of Practice for Prescribing of the College, administering by injections substances that are not listed in Table 2 of the General Regulation made under the Naturopathy Act 2007, administering a substance by injection prior to having met the Standard of Practice for Prescribing of the College, and false and misleading advertising regarding IV services performed (the “Investigations”).
(3) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge being advised that that the Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee (the “ICRC”) has not referred specified allegations of professional misconduct or incompetence to the Discipline Committee of the College in respect of the Investigations and that the ICRC is prepared to take no further action on the Investigations under paragraph 4 of subsection 26(1) of the Health Professions Procedural Code in exchange for my entering into this Undertaking.
(4) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge being advised that at the time at which Andrew Parr, Registrar and CEO of the College of Naturopaths of Ontario, executed this Undertaking, I was not the subject of any other pending complaints or investigations.
(5) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, hereby resign from the College effective the date of the ICRC’s decision to accept this Undertaking and to take no further action under paragraph 4 of subsection 26(1) of the Health Professions Procedural Code (the “Effective Date”).
(6) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, hereby undertake never to apply or re-apply for registration as a naturopathic doctor to practise naturopathic medicine in Ontario after the Effective Date.
(7) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, agree that in the event that the College should become aware that I am in breach of this Undertaking including, but not limited to, becoming aware that I have either applied, re-applied or attempted to apply or re-apply for registration as a naturopathic doctor or for a certificate of registration, or equivalent, to practise naturopathy in Ontario after the Effective Date, the College will be entitled to rely upon this undertaking in any registration or other similar proceeding as reason to deny my application to the College.
(8) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, further agree that if I breach this Undertaking, the College shall, in its sole discretion, have the right to proceed with the Investigations as well as for the breach of this Undertaking and that the College will be entitled to rely upon this Undertaking for that purpose.
(9) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, hereby agree to bear the risk of any prejudice that the passage of time might cause to my ability to make full answer and defence, and waive the right to seek any remedy on the basis of the passage of time, should the College proceed with any allegations that may arise as a result of a breach of this Undertaking and/or pursuant to paragraph (6) above.
(10) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge that as of the Effective Date, I will not be entitled to hold myself out as a person who is qualified to practise as a naturopath in Ontario and I will not be entitled to imply that I am a naturopath in Ontario.
(11) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge that the College is required to include the fact of my resignation and this undertaking in the College register and it is required to publish the fact of the undertaking on the College website.
(12) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge that I shall be solely responsible for payment of all fees, costs, charges, expenses, etc., if any, arising from the implementation of any of the terms of this Undertaking.
(13) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, acknowledge and confirm that I have read and understand the terms and conditions provided in this Undertaking and that I have obtained independent legal counsel in reviewing and executing this Undertaking, or have waived my right to do so.
(14) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, am signing this Undertaking voluntarily and without compulsion or duress.
(15) I, Maureen Horne-Paul, give my irrevocable consent to the College to make appropriate enquiries of any person or institution who may have relevant information, in order for the College to monitor my compliance with the terms of this Undertaking.